sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2500: I have a 2005 dodge ram, the engine was pulled and new

Customer Question

I have a 2005 dodge ram, the engine was pulled and new bearings and crankshaft was installed. Engines back in, it turns over fine but will not start also gauges dont work voltage,fuel says I'm empty when I'm not.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lift pump works,fuses are good, truck ran good before engine was pulled due to a knock in the motor. Put a volt meter on the injectors and I got nothing. One time it said "No BuS" and turned on the lights after that it never happened again.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the engine doesn't start, the fuel gauge and voltmeter don't work at you're seeing a no bus message that all points to the engine controller not being awake. If it's not awake it could be a loss of power or ground, a short to to power on a sensor ground circuit, a short to ground on a reference voltage circuit, or possibly an internal ECM issue.Does it have an aftermarket transfer pump that isn't controlled by the ECM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I belive the lift pump is stock, it goes inside the tank. And the lift pump runs constantly, weather the key is on or off. Dash lights come on bit no gauges work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it has a check engine light on but I won't be able to see the code until I get a scanner tommorw.
That's definitely not a factory transfer pump if it's in the tank and runs all the time.I doubt the ECM will not communicate with a scan tool. Let's see if it will communicate and go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will scan it and message you tommorow.
Great!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plugged in the scanner, and it's saying
"link error"
Have you checked fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I've checked all of them. I have dash lights, "check engine,fuel light,air bag, no seat belt, ABS" but gauges dont not work
Was the airbag light on previously? Are you able to communicate with the airbag module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just have a auto zone scanner when I plug it in it says connecting to vechicle. But fails and says link error
It's probably an OBDII code reader then rather than a scan tool? You don't have a module menu?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a module menu
You won't be able to access any modules except the ECM then.Do you have a digital voltmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do, but it doesn't have a ohms meter.
Can you check the voltage on the MAP sensor wires with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting 12volts on all 4 wires on the map sensor.... and that's using the engine as a ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even with the key off it still gets 12 volts on all 4 wires
That's not good.Can you unplug the fan clutch connector and recheck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan clutch is unplugged, same thing I get 12 volts at the map with the key or off.
Does power go away with the ECM connectors unplugged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I un bolt the 2 pin connectors on the ecm the map sensor loses power. But the big pin connector from the truck to the engine connected or disconnected the map will still have power.
The connectors in question are on the ECM. What is the exact location of the other connector you're referring to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a harness thats up on the firewall that the wire harness from the engine connects to.
Try removing powertrain related fuses one at a time and see if the voltage on the MAP sensor wiring will drop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've pulled every fuse and non drop the power to the map
You don't have the ability to check continuity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do
Do the red wires in pins 20 and 30 of ECM connector 2 have continuity to any of the MAP sensor wires with the ECM and sensor unplugged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the continuity test with map and ecm pin disconnected on wires 20 and 30 on the 2ND ECM pin to the wires on the map sensor and i get no continuity between the two. But 20 and 30 get continuity to the positive battery post.
Do the MAP sensor wires have continuity to the alternator output stud?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they do not
What are the wire colors on the sensor you're testing at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Grey orange, blue green , peach yellow, baby blue
You don't have an aftermarket chip box that plugs into the MAP, rail pressure sensor and/or fuel control actuator do you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought this truck and as far as I know it's bone stock.
let's check the voltage on all three wires at the rail pressure sensor with the ECM plugged back in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All 3 wires on the rail have 12 volts
With one meter lead on the violet/red wire at the pressure sensor, meter set to the 200 ohm scale and the other lead to the engine or battery ground, what reading do you see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also my alternator is getting hot even though I'm not cranking or charging the batteries. It just being hooked up is making the alternator hot.
Someone didn't paint the block did they?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I also sanded down the connections before hooking them up.
Can you connect a jumper cable between a battery negative post and the block and see if anything changes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay I was just released from the hospital, from having my apendix removed. I'll be working on my truck in a week or so
Not a problem!