Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Dodge Ram 3500: i have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel

Customer Question

i have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel with 125,000 miles on it.
My mechanic said it was running a bit rough. He said that # ***** cylinder was running at 84% efficiency, and recommended that I replace all of the fuel injectors for a cost of $6,000.
He assured me that this was costly, but that I would get many miles out of this truck.
I gave him the go ahead, and ran the truck for 150 miles after the work and # ***** cylinder failed. Now he wants $14,000 to replace the engine.
My question is, Should he have done a compression test or a cylinder leak down test at 84% efficiency or was this just a fluke that the engine blew up?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI, Based upon him stating that the cylinder was running at 84% efficiency, I would assume he ran at least an injector balance test and when the results showed a weak injector, he assumed that was the cause of the weak cylinder and stopped testing at that point. While the injectors are prone to failure and usually a good assumption that the bad injector was the sole cause, a diligent tech would have done a compression test and leakdown test to ensure no other underlying cause. The problem is that there are no standardized testing requirements in the repair industry that shop are required to adhere to. So while he was not diligent enough, if the injector was indeed bad, it is hard to prove that the shop was negligent and as such responsible for the engine failure. So while one shop may do a full round of testing at your expense, another shop may do testing until a cause is found and stop at that point rather than charge you for more testing that may not show any other issue, or may show more issues. You will need to talk the shop owner and see if he is reasonable to splitting the cost of the repair. or deducting the labor from the injector job from the cost of the engine replacement. If the injectors proved faulty, then they would have needed to be replaced no matter what, so it is hard to justify asking for that back. But with engine replacement the labor for replacing the injectors would have been included, so I see that as a reasonable request. If he is not amenable to this, then you either have to pay for the replacement out of pocket and sue in small claims court for reimbursement, or sue and then have it repaired. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks