Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

94 dodge dakoda will not connect to computer JA: The mechanics

Customer Question

94 dodge dakoda will not connect to computer
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: fuel pump doesedt run,no spark,Wont start,
JA: Anything else I can tell the Dodge Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: isnt that enough
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
Good morning, Which engine do you have in your dakota? What kind of computer are you trying to connect to?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
3.9 engine, actron elite
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
The most common problem on this truck is the a14 splice on the driver's side fender. It has a red/white wire that gets corroded or worn through. Here is how to nail it down: Check the powers and grounds at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the powers are on pins 3 and 9, then the grounds on pins 11 and 12. The Red/White wire to the Automatic Shut Down (ASD) relay gets power from fuse D, the 20 amp fuse in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) under the hood. Replace the fuse as needed. If the fuse is OK, then trace the Red/White wire to the A14 splice on the driver's side fender. Inspect and repair the splice as needed. Check the 5 and 8 volt power supplies for shorts to ground. The 5 V powers the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) and Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), the 8 V powers the Cam Angle Sensor (CMP), Crank Angle Sensor (CKP) and Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Just unplug them one at a time while monitoring the voltage.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry that is 5.2l
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
Ok. It's the same splice for that engine too.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no problems there, i also have no power on the coil wire with switch on. could the ecm cause this?
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
You have reference voltage on all of the 5v power supplies right?
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
You should get battery voltage at the coil when cranking. This comes from the PCM.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no voltage at coil
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
Check for 8-9 volts at the orange wire of the crank position sensor. If the voltage is ok at the crank sensor then I would either scope the sensor for a good square wave pattern while cranking or replace the crank sensor. That is probably the problem if you aren't getting voltage at the coil.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where is the sensor
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how will that effect the fact that i have no fuel pressure
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
If the crank sensor is shorted internally it will cut the reference voltage that runs the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where do i find the crank sensor
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
It is on the transmission bell housing.
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
Good morning,I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional help.If you no longer need help, please don't forget to rate.