Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a Durango 2002 5.9L that cranks but won't start. I

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Matt. I have a Durango 2002 5.9L that cranks but won't start. I live in Saudi Arabia and am being told various problems for its cause. The first mechanic seemed to think it was a connector issue, tinkered with the camshaft sensor and got the car started. However, he couldn't diagnose properly as he didn't have a computer to check codes. New mechanic is adamant it's the alternator but the battery is less than 12 months old and was turning fine with the first mechanic. Any suggestions please?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really. The car turns and sounds healthy but won't start. It ran fine in the morning and then wouldn't start in the afternoon.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello Matt and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Have you checked for spark and fuel when cranking? If so, does it have spark? Does it run on starting fluid?