Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

My truck won't come out of 4th gear. Its a 2010 Dodge. Will

Customer Question

My truck won't come out of 4th gear. Its a 2010 Dodge.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Will not shift up or down. Starts off in 4th gear.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Your transmission is in a "limp in mode". In other words the computer has detected that a transmission senor or solenoid circuit has failed and when that happens, the transmission defaults to 4th gear. Is the check engine light on also?Chris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is this an expensive fix?
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

It depends. Since the check engine light is on, then there is a transmission code set in the computer.

Do this: Have a shop or the dealer retrieve the transmission codes so you will know which solenoid or sensor is the problem. Then you can get an idea as to how much it will cost.

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Figure on a price range from oh $200.00 to $800.00 depending on the circuit affected.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello, just checking in to see how it is going.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Excellent! I have an appointment to put it on machine. Someone recommended only going to a Chrysler dealer. Evidently the machine they have detects sensors more specifically. I appreciate your help
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Yes I agree. The dealer has a special transmission simulator that makes the diagnosis fool proof. Glad I was able to help and PLEASE rate my service using the rating system that you see on the web site. That is how I get credit for helping you. Have a great weekend!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Thank you!

Chris