Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2007 Dodge Durango. The engine has had a knock, and

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Dodge Durango. The engine has had a knock, and now will not start. When I turn the key on, the speedometer and tachometer move to their highest position and the security light comes on. The vehicle then is not responsive until a period of time has passed. I was hoping to at least start the vehicle to drive it to a local garage. Have any ideas on how I might be able to reset something? Thanks, Tim
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: Not sure if I will fix this myself or take it to a local garage. Unfortunately, I think the knock is something more than I have time for to fix.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not used this site before. I am not sure how it works. $28 for an answer? Is that correct?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. When the security light comes on, does it go out after about 3 or 4 seconds?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, It doesn't go out for quite some time. It seems that after a period of time, it lets me try again, but only with the same results. The engine does not crank at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in the Durango now. I attempted to start it. I can key it over one click and all of the power comes on for accessories, but then when I try to crank it over, the gauges all quit and the security light comes on. It has probably been on for nearly two minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The keyfob no longer works with the security light on. It is still on, even after opening and closing the driver side door.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Try this: Disconnect the negative battery cable for about 3 minutes and then reconnect it to reset the security module. See if that will allow it to start. let me know,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying that now (again). I had tried that earlier and it seemed to reset the system, but when keying on, it tripped the system again.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, another thing it may be is the key itself.The microchip in the key may be acting up. Do you have another key to try?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After reconnecting the battery, the security light is still on and the vehicle is unresponsive. I'll grab the other key and check. I should mention again that there has been an engine knock. Could it somehow be related?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just had the battery disconnected for nearly five minutes and it did not reset the system. The vehicle is still unresponsive.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

The knock is not related to the issue you are having now. If the other key does not work, then my recommendation at this point is to call a mobile lock smith and have him/her come out to where the vehicle is and check / program the key(s) and or the SKIM module. If they cannot program it, then at least they can tell you if the problem is the key or the module, then you can have the appropriate repair done.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found this in the owners manual."During normal operation, after turning on the ignition switch, the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will
turn on for three (3) seconds for a bulb check. If the light remains on after the bulb check, it indicates that there is
a problem with the electronics. In addition, if the light begins to flash after the bulb check, it indicates that
someone used an invalid key to start the engine. Either of these conditions will result in the engine being shut off
after two (2) seconds.If the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light turns on during normal vehicle operation (vehicle running for
longer than 10 seconds), it indicates that there is a fault in the electronics. Should this occur, have the vehicle ser-
viced as soon as possible."I would like to have the vehicle serviced but was hoping to drive it to the garage. Any thoughts on this info from the manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like the second paragraph applies. It had been running, when it shut off and the light came on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if I have to have it towed, the windows are all down and I cannot put them up. At this point I would just like to find a way to get the vehicle to respond.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Can I call you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Interesting. I just tried to jump start it from my other car. The battery could be low. It seemed to get the vehicle to respond. I at least got the windows up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to let it charge for a little bit and see what happens. Perhaps it shutting off was due to a bad alternator? It is the original and it has 155k miles on it.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I was starting to think a low voltage/battery problem when you mentioned that the windows will not roll up. Could very well be a charging system issue.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I'll let you know what I find when I can get back to it. Family is now here. Thanks for your time Chris. Happy Easter.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good my friend, and Happy Easter to you and your family also!

Chris