Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango 4.7 L SLT. It has 185,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango 4.7 L SLT. It has 185,000 miles on it. Lately I've been having some problems that I tried to fix myself thanks to YouTube . However I'm still having issues. The check engine light is on and it was showing code P0068 and P0058 and it was overheating . So let me explain everything I've done so you know where I'm at. I changed the spark plugs. I changed the radiator. I changed the thermostat . I changed the water pump. I changed the fan clutch. I replaced the two oxygen sensors on the driver side. I change the PCV valve. I flushed and changed all the transmission fluid replacing both filters. I changed the throttle position sensor. However the motor has been extremely loud so I thought maybe the fan clutch I bought was not good. But last night on the trip it began not wanting to shift. It actually would downshift going about 60 miles an hour. I pulled over to a gas station. And checked all the fluids. Everything seems fine with the fluids. However when I went to start it back up it wouldn't crank. I waited for about an hour and then it finally cranked up I was hoping to drive home but it wouldn't seem to shift out of first and second gear so I turned around . I was mad so I stomped on the gas and when it got to about 4500 RPMs it shifted and then again at 4500 RPMs it shifted. So I drove it the rest of the way home because I had my 7&9-year-old little boys in the car . I'm at a loss any suggestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Most likely what happened is a transmission solenoid or sensor is failing. When that happens, the transmission goes into what is known as a "limp in" mode and defaults to second gear. What you need to do is to have a shop connect their scan tool and read the TRANSMISSION codes. NOT the engine codes. Then you will have an idea ast to which sensor or solenoid is causing the issue. You may need to replace the solenoid pack in the transmission. The other thing it would be is a wiring issue between the TCM (Transmission Control Module) and the transmission.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance!

Happy Easter to you and your family,

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello???

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Thank you!

Chris