Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have a 2001 Durango 4x4 with a 4.7. My aux water pump has

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Durango 4x4 with a 4.7. My aux water pump has a verified leak, but truck runs only at 12:30 on the engine temp at hottest. Normally I have no issues at the elevation I live at (1,000) and lower' but when I drive to work in Government Camp, OR 15/20 min away, when I arrive my coolant is spilling over from the overflow and steaming but the temp is no hotter than mentioned above. What is causing this? Air in the system?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 8 months ago.

Hello, a couple things come to mind, the sensor reads coolant temp, not so much how hot the metal is it screws into so,, with a verified leak? yes,, you could be getting some air pockets causing the problem, water not circulating properly and the sensor is not making contact 1005 to the actual coolant or,, you could have a bad thermostat. This engine design has the thermostat at the bottom of the engine which is different than most engines where it is on top so,, with this design, air pockets can happen a bit more often with a leak so,, One would need to correct the leak and at the same time? I would do the thermostat, I do have to mention the worst case scenario which could? be a filing headgsasket but I tend to lean away from that, I say leak in combination of the thermostat location/design and air pockets are the route cause, so fix the leak, then change the t stat and all should be ok. here is a link to the thermostat info