Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I need to replace the cowl panel under the wipers. The seal

Customer Question

I need to replace the cowl panel under the wipers. The seal on the windshield is cracked andhas fallen off in several places. re there any seals between the cowl panel and windshield? I have the###-##-####AD replacement from my dodge dealer.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer! This is Ed.

There aren't any seals on the cowl itself unless they include some foam stuffers here and there, but nothing will be stuck to the body or the windshield.

To remove the cowl, you'll need to get the wiper arms off, of course. They're held on with nuts below the lower arm shields that unclip and rotate up toward the hinge area and make note of where the wipers rest for future reference. Remove the nuts, then rotate the arms straight up and wiggle them. Using a puller of some sort is also effective, but I find that they tend to come off pretty easily if you just torque the arms back and forth because the wiper pivots are tapered slightly and tend to release well using that technique.

Then, you'll have a couple of special push pins on the engine side of the unit that need to be pulled out. Some pins require the center portion of the fastener removed in order to release the entire pin, but these might be just one-piece pins that have to be pried out. They're reusable either way, but the one-piece clips are a little harder to work with and the head might pop off if you're unlucky. New "Christmas tree" single-piece clips of this sort will secure the panel better than reused ones, but it's not a terribly high demand situation.

Now, you pull the entire unit toward the front of the truck to disengage some hooks around the windshield area. Once the cowl shield is pulled away far enough, disengage the washer hose and you'll be in!

When you're ready to reinstall the wiper arms later, cycle the wipers once to be sure they're sitting at their exact park position. Sometimes the wiper linkage gets bumped a bit and if you don't do a quick re-index, you could wind up with wipers parking where you didn't intend.

Thanks and good luck!

Ed