-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

We have a 2013 ram diesel and the cat is starting to plug up

Customer Question

We have a 2013 ram diesel and the cat is starting to plug up for the for the DEF if it does. Can we still r ram diesel and the cat is starting to plug up for the ding you for the DEF if it does. Can we unhook it and will it still run ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes I have a 13 ram with the 67 diesel and the dealer says that my DEF cat is plugging up it has 211,000 miles and I need to know if it does go down to the 5 miles an hour can I unhook the cat and still drive it so I can get it in
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

Thanks for the request!!

Depending on what codes you have the ECM will derate the HP until the codes can be cleared or the issue repaired.. Do you know what codes are setting? If you run your finger in the tailpipe is it clean or black?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is clean ...not showing any code just says it will shut downin 100 miles ... It's been doing this for 5000 miles. So if it shuts down can I take the cat out and still run?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

If the tailpipe is clean then the DPF is not busted so it likely will not need to be replaced.. If you connect a scantool what codes does it show? And no it will not run with the converter removed unless you had a programmer to delete the DPF..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks... On the road and don't have my scanner with me. We are just hoping we get home before it quits. Have had it in with the dealer and they are convenced it is not a computer glitch but the cat plugging...
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome...

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,