Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

I have a 2006 caravan 3.3, with codes 2308,0300. Cylinder 3

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2006 caravan 3.3, with codes 2308,0300. Cylinder 3 and 6 have no spark. Wires were replaced, As well as oem spark plugs. Test at coil shows steady flashing at 2 of 3 coils. Last shows steady light. Also, Have checked injector pulse with noid light, And no flash. Verified noid light is working. Not sure where to direct myself at this point. Thanks Al
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 8 months ago.
You've done well so far, if I'm understanding you correctly at thr connector for the coil you have a pulse for thr first two but the last one is lit solid, and at the injectors for those same two cylinders you hAve no pulse. If this is right the first thing that comes to mind is a bad ecm. But let's make sure. Lets start with the injectors if you have an ohm meter ck thr resistance of all 6 injectors . After that ck the battery voltage at thr two were you have no pulse so we will know that thr ground pulse from thr computer is our probkem.
Drivers in thr ecm provide the ground pulse for both thr coil and thr injector it's highly likely one of those shorted causing thr driver to fail that's why be sure and measure resistance of injectors and also those two coils
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Is there any way you can send me a connector schematic? Plenum makes it difficult to test all but #6.
I will let me see if I have it if not please allow me till later this morning when I get to work

sir are you still working on this

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
On march 24th, You sent me a message, Stating that you would get the information I requesed, In the morning. I never received it. How can I rate you, If nothing has been accomplished?

Sir please forgive me i see now where that did not go through i had used my computer at work. Please accept my apologies and i am getting that right now

1. Unplug the connector from the ignition coil. Connect a test light between B+ and each of the coil driver circuits one at a time. Crank the engine and the test should flash for each coil driver.

2. If any cause the test light to stay lit steady, check for a shorted wire. If the wire is OK, replace the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Use a scan tool to enter the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) into the new PCM. This PCM will need to be flash programmed, as it comes empty.

3. Try unplugging the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor, this will put the motor in limp-in and the PCM will ignore sync. If the Ignition Coil Driver starts working again, check the CMP sensor signal and then labscope cam/crank sensor signals to sync.

dodge bulletin

Sir i feel awful about this, apparently i had typed up the message and not sent. Sometimes my job can be a lilttle hectic. Please let me know if this is all you need

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No problem. The dodge bulletin you sent, Stops at page 273. P2308 troubleshooting, Is on the following page.

okay let me resend

Sir read the top of the bulletin all test are the same but will be labeled 2302 you did get the entire bulletin. Please check and tell me if there is anything i can do to completely satisfy you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I figured that out after reading through. That's the information I need. How about a diagram of the pinout, So I know what wires to test. Thanks.
sir

sir would you mind giving me your email address, i cant get this to take the .htm document i am trying to send you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Of course.***@******.***. Thanks

does this work

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't see coils on that schematic.

okay what about this

Sir this i know has what you are looking for

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've done all that I could so far. Test have lead me to believe, that the Pcm is bad. However, I've been told that it's was changed by the last guy that got his hands on it. He stated that he sent it out to have it reprogrammed, and it didn't fix the problem.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Apparently, your not helping me. your message from days ago states check the injector resistance. How am I supposed to do that without any information? What's the resistance supposed to be? Just refund me if your done , and I'll move on.

well sir the resistance is around 13 ohms per injector but if you would have read more into i asked you to check the resistance of each one and to compare what you look for is for them to be real close to each other the actual spec is a rance from 12.5 to 16 ohm but if you go by that you will miss one there resistance depends on temperature, pressure and wear, they should all be close. If you are not happy with my help i will opt out, and wish you good luck, I tried i provided you factory service bulletins diagnostic tree that addressed your problem as well as wiring diagrams straight from factory manuals.. I will further leave you with this. The PCm is your problem. sending it out to get it programmed accomplishes nothing. I perform off board programming all you are doing is simply installing software a pcm is best tested in its environment i.e. bad grounds weak voltage, worn terminal all play into effect. I have diagnosed your problem so many times i could do it in my sleep, replace your pcm.. I do this to help people no real money in it plus i learn from helping. You have a good day sir sorry i wasted my time and yours

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The first pcm was sent out, returned with no luck. Second was purchased new , and problem remains the same. That's when the vehicle showed up at my place. I'm a developer, not a tech, I'm doing this for a tenant, and I'd hate to ship it back unfinished.
Okay if you still want my help I'd like to help you. Here is our situation you aren't getting an injector pulse or a coil pulse for one of the coils this ground pulse comes from the pcm. So we need to check the resistance of each Injector, and then the coil measure from each pin that receives the ground pulse to thr pin that has the battery voltage look for any discrepancies. I believe I provided you a diagram and a pin out chart. If we don't find anything next look real closely at the connector for the pcm examine each terminal if u have a small paperclip or pin about thr same size as the pins on thr pcm insert it into each terminal checking thr tension. And finally measure thr resistance of wiring from pcm to coil and injector. Follow the harness look for points where it could rub or have tension. Ck connectors at coil and injectors if all that checks good pcm is bad, that particular model series I've replaced alot of pcm in.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I'll go through all that, again. I would like to be %100 sure, before I put a third unit In it . Does it have to be new from the dealer? Do they have to program it? Can the new one that's in it, have to be programmed in the vehicle?

yes sir any pcm that you get and put in that van has to be programmed with the vin number from that van that is an absolute. Your year 2006 was actually a bad year because chrysler outfitted some with the can network and some not i believe most of the vans at least the ones ive worked on are not can network. But either way the pcm has to have the vin number, if you have a scan tool go to vehicle info and read the vin your scanner is showing and make sure it coincides with the one on the van.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
According to what I've been told, The current pcm has been programmed to the VIN. Except, Not in the vehicle. Apparently, It was shipped out, And Returned, As a plug and play.

And let me say this most times you have no problem with that i had one last night though a customer had got at car quest for a diesel, i had alot of trouble with it turned out had some wrong program in it. Another thing i would do disconnect the pcm and load test the wiring meaning i will take an old school big headlight, run power to it and then use that wire to provide me a ground its a little work but it eliminates any broken wiring.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Run a fresh 12 volt source, From batterry to load( old school headlamp)etc, And use the existing ground wire in the ecu harness to other lead on load light? Where am I getting that ground wire from? Is this just to see if there's a bad ground wire? If so, Wouldn't that cause a no spark condition in all coils?

No sir what i mean is and this is time consumimg one end of your wire say the pcm connector you would have hooked to the wire fom your light and at the other end say the connector to coil out of tht pin you would run your ground this load test your wiring, alot of times heck as recent as yesterday i have gone to connectors checked a voltage it was there but under load it dropped. And by the way that is the best way to check your grounds and hots

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Excuse my delay. I'm busy with my business, As it was the end of the month. I may get some time on sunday, To try that out. I'll get back with you as soon as I get back to the vehicle. Thanks again
Thank you sir, have a great weekend

Hello sir have you had a chance to work on this anymore

Hello again sir they timed the question out so i did not get credit for trying to help you is there anything else i can do for you have you checked those yet