Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

97 dodge will not start GEN light only flashes on second but

Customer Question

97 dodge will not start GEN light only flashes on for a second but doesn't stay on long enough to start truck . has new crank sensor and cam sensor battery is good and coil is good. What should I try next?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When you say it will not start are you saying it will crank over but not fire up or are you saying it will not crank at all? Post back with complete information and we can work from there. It would also be useful if you can scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting. Post them as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It cranks but will not start
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

In order for the engine to start and run as you know you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure. If you check each one of these and can tell me which one you are lacking I will see if I can help you determine the cause.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It only get spark when the GEN light is on
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Has the computer been scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has i cant remember what they were and now my scanner will not get comunication so im about to call snap on to see if they can help me with that
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Before I can give you some idea I really need to know what the fault codes are . The lack of communications with the scanner can be caused by a failing PCM (computer) . Since we have no codes let check the scanner power as well as the signal to the PCM. See the steps in the link below to do this. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Scan%20com%20Mar%2027.pdf