b5demon
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist
13235514

Here. Have a 2003 sprinter conversation that usually has ok

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, Mark here. Have a 2003 sprinter conversation that usually has ok power, but sometimes it can't get out of its own way. I have to shift manually to get any power at all. Just completed a 2000 mile trip from Seattle to Dallas and sometimes the loss of power was really scary. Anything come to mind as to where to look?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: 35000 miles on this van!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: Hoping to fix it myself or at least understand the problem...
JA: Our top Dodge Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Dodge Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Dodge Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to Just Answer! Does the check engine light come on when this happens? How many miles are on the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light. 35000 miles
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

ok that is usually caused by either a leak in the intercooler or hoses or an egr valve that is sticking. You can check the intercooler hoses and the intercooler for leaks by looking for oil seeping out of them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you clean an EGR valve or is it replace only?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

You can try cleaning but it is usually replace only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I'll check these tomorrow in the sun.
Will the intercooler hoses leak oil or seep oil? At the connections or in the body of the hose?
Lastly, are they hard to replace? Should I expect hose problems at 13 years of age and just replace these parts and be done with it?
Appreciate your help!
BTW, if these don't help, is there another step to consider?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

The hoses are prone to leaks with age. Any signs of oil leaking or seeping are signs there is a leak in the system. If none of that helps i would have the computer checked to see if there are any codes in the system that could indicate what is causing your issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very good! Thanks again!
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

No problem let me know if you need any more help

Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need any more help with this or in the future. If you are happy with the service please rate our conversation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hoses weren't leaking. I reset the Mass Air valve and that seemed to help a lot.
However, I did find some oil in the EGR valve when I removed the turbo hose connection. Is this a concern?