Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2007 Ram 2500 5.9 Batteries dead, low voltage on dash gauge

Customer Question

2007 Ram 2500 5.9 Batteries dead, low voltage on dash gauge Check gauges light on but no check engine light
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Truck has been running just fine. Two days ago I went to drive it and it wouldn't start. I thought I left something on but couldn't find anything. I charged the batteries enough to start it. Started it and took it on a drive. Then parked it and tried to start it later that night, it wouldn't start. I jumped it again and the voltage gauge showed low like around 9-11 v Then the check gauges light came on. I batteries have been charging and tested out to be in good shape
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I paid the $28 via paypal
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I bought a new alternator etc... But the alternator came with a sheet describing a TSB 18-001-07 regarding my year/model of truck stating that my problem may be the PCM programming.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
one second
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Ok, give me a few minutes while I pull up your vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1D7KS28CX75545789
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1D7KS28CX7J545789
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN! So now the vehicle has low power and does not even crank over correct?

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Do the headlight and or dome lights work?

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Were the batteries replaced? If not, have they been load tested using a battery tester?

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Maybe you just have bad batteries.. or a bad connection at or after the batteries. Can you tell me what the battery voltage is at now on both of the batteries?

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

How about the voltage on fuse number 1 and 2 in the power distribution center udner the hood?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Batteries are two years old. They tested out at 12.6v each.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm
Unable to test the voltage at those fuses, I don't have truck with me
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The dome lights work only after I recharge the batteries for a while. Otherwise he entire truck is dead after even a ten minute drive
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Are you able to check the voltage on the fuse and reply back? Or can you call me when your at the truck so I can walk you through this diagnoses?