Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4x4 scented to RPM to be

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4x4 scented to RPM to be playing on the computer because it would run and shut off and set and credit back up driving little bit and we do the same thing Sarpy and Charlie dies to put a main distributor cap rotor and crankshaft sensor in which we did car cranks up and runs fine same problem still exists we Crank It Up and runs great driving about 3 houses down it starts overload when gas backfiring and continues to get worse so it shuts off once it's set for a while and crank back up we bought a used computer and it done the exact same thing I put it in the shop it's been there 8 weeks and has no codes on the computer so they cannot figure out what it is either so should I buy a new ECM or is that going to not fix the problem I need help this is my only vehicle and I have grandkids please help me
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent the track to RPM to be diagnostic by a computer where is alts was replace the main distributor rotor button distributor cap crankshaft sensor okay we replaced everything the truck runs great runs about four hundred down the street and then starts spitting sputtering trying to shut off and backfires eventually will shut off and wont crank back up until the engine cools down they are no codes in the computer we got a computer from the junkyard and tried that in the same situation the computer was flashed to me that truck but the computers do the same thing there is no codes in the main computer on the truck but when you have a timing light on the truck it is running perfect on the timing once it starts hesitating overload with gas the time and just starts going crazy on it and we cannot figure it out we need the vehicle super bad at all only vehicle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Please accept my additional offer and call me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I M sorry I don't have extra funds for the phone call could you please respond with the answer by text thank you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Give me a few minutes..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok sorry for the delay! Would you be willing to speak on the phone for an extra $5?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have it right now sorry but I cant.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no problem.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So does the engine currently start and run now? Does it run good or run rough at times?. no codes?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

What is the fuel pressure at when this happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it runs good till it gets warm but when u get about a block it start over loading with gas it starts back firing and shuts off once it cools down u can crank it back up I need some help its my only car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good fuel and oil pressure
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me do some digging and post back first thing in the morning. Going to get some sleep. Have a good night

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I hope you can help me good night.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Please try and find out what the fuel pressure is at when this happens. Talk to you in the morning!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will call the shop that has it and ask them to check it for me.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and sorry for the delay! Was the distributor assembly replaced? If not, this is a possible causes. Also, what about the oxygen sensor? This too can be an issue. The TPS and MAP sensor are also very important inputs to the computer so these need to be checked as well. Here is how to diagnoses the problem. Start by checking engine vacuum when the engine runs good and compare the reading to when the engine is acting up and see if there is a significant difference. If so, we have a bae engine mechanical issue that needs to be addressed. If not, then see if the engine runs any better on starting fluid when this happens. If both of these tests passes, then the problem will be related to the ignition system. Let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have them check it but brand new distributor and new cap and rotor button all new also new sensors and new ignition and keys. This why we don't understand what is wrong with it it also had a new fuel pump last year
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Keep in mind, just because the fuel pump is fairly new does not mean it is good. I have seen brand new parts go bad right after installing them. In addition, there are other factors that can cause low fuel pressure as well so be sure to get the fuel pressure readings WHEN this problem occurs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok as soon As I hear from the shop I will make sure they check it and I will let you know.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shop said fuel pressure is great when running and also has good fe pressure when it starts missing up they shot eather in it made no difference so they are still going to keep checking it out till we get it right.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok good.. and all of the tune up parts have been replaced? Cap, rotor, plugs and wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

And the cam and crank sensors have been replaced correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry my phone died yes sensors are all replaced.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Were the oxygen sensors replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok good.. and was the PCM replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With a used one and it was flash as well but we are thinking about getting a new one because both do the same thing.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I suspect that is the route you should go provided everything else checks out good or has been replaced up to this point.