Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2012 dodge ram 5500 6.7 cummins just put two batteries and

Customer Question

2012 dodge ram 5500 6.7 cummins just put two batteries and alternator in it charged for about 10 minutes and stopped charging. checked voltage at the exciter wires getting 3.4 volts there
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Dodge Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: alternator died the other night and ran till batteries went dead. replaced both batteries and alternator truck ran and charged for about 10 minutes then stopped charging again. I checked the voltage at the 2 wire connector for the alternator and I am getting 3.4 volts to the regulator on the alternator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: OMG I just told you what I did so far
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: Our top Dodge Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Dodge Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Dodge Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, was the 3.4 volts on the brown with gray striped wire at the alternator? If so, then either a break in that wire between it and the powertrain control module or faulty powertrain control module on the field generator circuit and will need the PCM replaced

You need to disconnect the C1 connector on the PCM and the connector to the alternator and ohm out the field generator wire(brown/gray). It is pin 28 on the PCM connector(see attached). If it measures infinity(missing resistance), then you will need to either trace and repair the wire or run a new one. If good, replace and program the PCM

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

There are 2 connectors at the PCM. One is black and one is gray. The Black connector is C1

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?