Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Backup camera stopped working. The dealer changed the camera

Customer Question

Backup camera stopped working. The dealer changed the camera but it wasn't the problem. Then they put the computer on it and said there was a broken wire. They charged me 600$ and still not working. Please help me!
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When it first started, the screen was all different colours and distorted then it just went to a blue screen. Meanwhile a year ago I notified the dealer that when I hit a big bump in the road the dashboard light and radio go really bright. Could it be a part of my problem?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I would like to take it to a dealer but I already spent a lot of money on it. So I'm hoping not to spend too much again
JA: OK! The Dodge Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: It's out of warranty. I've got 295000 kms on it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the dash board lights still acting up over bumps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not always
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When on low for night driving they flickered
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this does not sound like it is related to the fault here.This sounds like a loose or corroded power or ground feed to these lights that will need to be checked into further by tracing wires from the lights which unfortunately can take some time to locate.

With the camera issue since you had screen issues here at first this sounds more like a fault with the display itself.I have seen these act up before internally needing replaced.It may still be a broken wire that they did not see or fix so this should be double checked leading from the camera itself and under the vehicle but if all wiring is found to be o.k. I suspect that the display itself is at fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete