Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Last Sunday i was on the ghway when i started loosing power

Customer Question

Hello Tim, Last Sunday i was on the highway when i started loosing power and my check engine light came on along with my esp indicator. I had it scanned and was told it was the cam shaft sensor. I replaced it and it ran fine all week. Today the check engine light and the esp indicator light came on again. After a scan the error code said Torque Request Denied C121c. I am not a mechanic, any suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about it. It does seem to stall a bitwhen i accelerate.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

WHAT IS THE YEAR MAKE MODEL AND ENGINE OF THIS?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, that would help. 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

ok, with that code, it is almost always a bad crankshaft sensor, what was the code you had before?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not sure what the code was. The auto parts guy told me it said the problem was the crank shaft position sensor was the problem. Maybe I purchased a bad one.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

you said you replaced the cam shaft sensor, not the crankshaft sensor?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry as you can see i am not a mechanic.He did say camshaft my error
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where would the crankshaft sensor be located?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

ok, the crank shaft sensor can also set a cam shaft sensor code, this code means the cam and crank are not in time, this can be caused by a bad cam sensor or a bad crank sensor, the crank sensor is the most common when this code comes up, also dirty oil can cause this code, as the oil pressurizes the cam phasers for timing , has the oil been changed lately?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

are you still here?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is due to be changed, it is a little over due. I was on my way to get it changed when this code came up. I was out of town for awhile and my step son forgot to take it in for me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He ran it about 4000 miles since the last oil change
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It looks like i should change the oil first?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

then this very well could be the problem, the oil runs the variable valve timing, the first thing you need to do is change the oil and filter and fill with the proper viscosity, and drive it, it very well could fix it, if it does not, then change the crank sensor,Tim

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's what i will do. Thanks time you have a great day. You have been very helpful.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tim not Time
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, Thanks,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

Is there a reason you wont rate me???

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

Are you still here?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

Ok, I see, you were just looking for free answer, good luck in the future,Tim