Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

2008 dodge caliber driving on the eway suddenly speed of car

Customer Question

2008 dodge caliber driving on the eway suddenly speed of car dropped drastically from 75 to 40
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: all I know after sitting for a couple hrs it drove ok again
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Dodge Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: It seems like the rpms are off
JA: Our top Dodge Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Dodge Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Dodge Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did you actually feel the engine or power power down when this occurred here or was it just the gauge that dropped speed signal like this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well it was my daughter who was driving back to school and she said the speed just went from 75mph down 40mph
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it stayed idle meaning she didn't drive for a couple of hours so I came and pick it up from her and I drove it back I kept the speed limit right around 70mph and it didn't happen while I was driving
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

O.k.,the first thing that needs done here is to have a scan tool that is fully compatible with this model plugged into your vehicle to read the fault codes to see what codes set with this issue here.Once this has been done any codes set need to be diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.

I have seen issues with the transmission going into a limp mode intermittently that can cause what is described here and was an issue with the valve body itself in the transmission needing replaced.This will have to be checked into further to be sure of the cause by first having the codes checked so it can be diagnosed and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete