Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

2008 Durango. Power windows and cigarette lighter on the

Customer Question

2008 Durango. Power windows and cigarette lighter on the dash won't work. Can't find the right fuse to replace
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The power windows and the cigarette lighter don't work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've replaced every 30A fuse and every 20A fuse. Just finished testing the 40A fuses with no luck either
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 8 months ago.

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.

The Power Windows are powered thru the "Circuit Breaker" located in the Junction Block
Click Attachment below
The Power Outlet / Cigarette Lighter shows to be Fuses "3" & "35" also located in the Junction Block
IF the above have Voltage on "both sides" of Circuit Breaker & Fuses with Key On, then you need to Test the PINK / YELLOW wire of the Window Switch
Let me know what you find

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.
.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That diagram doesn't seem to match any of the fuse boxes in my '08 Durango. Where is the junction box you're talking about located?

that is straight out of the 2008 Dodge Durango Service Manual U.S.A.
The Junction Block (JB) is concealed behind the left outboard end of the instrument panel cover.

click attachment below

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is the left outboard end of the instrument panel cover? Before I go taking apart the dashboard I figured I'd check.

The End cap of the Dash should come off pretty easy
The picture of the J B they show appears to be down below, behind the Kick Panel.
On some Models there was a cover below also

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Yeah I was thinking it was the kick panel fuse box that they were talking about. Here are pics. So is it one of these fuses or do I have to remove this panel to get to something else?

Turn the diagram of the Circuit Breaker I posted to the left, & that shows the fuses & Circuit Breaker of your picture
The silver box is the Circuit Breaker in you picture
Prior to reseting the Circuit Breaker, test Voltage on "both sides" with Key ON
To RESET the Circuit Breaker, remove the Circuit Breaker for 1 minute

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I feel like we're close. Thanks for your help so far. The "silver box" in my picture...are you talking about that 25A fuse?

click attachment below

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Replaced that 25A fuse--didn't do anything. Windows and cigarette lighter still don't work. Tested the voltage with the key in the ON position and the outlet seems fine. So my next step is to check the pink/white wire running from the door?

Replaced that 25A fuse
??

What "fuse" are you referring to?
What about the "Circuit Breaker" that I posted to RESET?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry. I meant Pink/Yellow wire. How do I test that?

Replaced that 25A fuse
??

What "fuse" are you referring to?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The red arrow you drew to the silver box -- that silver box is a 25A fuse.

that silver box is a 25A fuse.

??

sorry..........
Not sure if we are on same page:
that "silver box" from your picture is metal & is NOT a Fuse.......it is a "Circuit Breaker"
You need to replace with "same", IF it is bad
IF it is not bad, then you need to RESET it like I posted
Remove & wait 1 minute, then reinsert
DO NOT insert a "Fuse"

.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Yeah I just looked at the package that the new one came in. It is a "circuit breaker" not a fuse. My fault. I did remove the old one for a minute and re-insert it with no luck. Tried the same thing with the new one and still no power windows or cigarette lighter.

I see no circuit "connection" with the Power Windows & the Cigarette Lighter, other than thru the

Front Control Module (FCM)

Integrated Power Module (IPM)

Power Distribution Center (PDC)
Which Voltage + is supplied to the Fuses & Circuit Breaker I posted
There has been issues with the IPM needing replacing because of Voltage not getting to some Components
Use of Dealer Scan Tool is needed to Test.
apprx 1 hour labor

Fuse 8, under hood, powers Fuse 3 in the Inside Fuse Panel..........Please test this fuse under the hood on "both sides" for Voltage +

Fuse 4, under hood, powers Fuse 35 in the Inside Fuse Panel

Fuse "8" is a 40 amp Fuse

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will check those fuses in the morning. Thank you for your help so far!

will be back on tomorrow morning.......

please let me know what you find...........

thank you..........

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tested Fuse 8 under the hood and Fuse 3 inside--both checked out fine. Also tested Fuse 4 under the hood and fuse 35 inside and both of those checked out fine too. Not sure what to do now.

Fuse 8 powers the Circuit Breaker inside
IF there is Voltage + at Fuse 8 & NO Voltage + at the Circuit Breaker inside, then there has to be an issue with the Harness under the hood to the Fuse Panel inside
OR

the PDC & / or the IPM under the hood
OR
the Junction Block inside where the Circuit Breaker is
.
Were you working on the vehicle when this problem started, or did it happen out of the blue?

.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The issue started a while ago. I live in Arizona so it's hot most of the time, but on chilly winter mornings the power windows and that cigarette lighter wouldn't work. When the vehicle warmed up though (usually after 15 mins or so) everything would work fine. During the hot summer months the windows and cigarette lighter always worked. The windows haven't worked since November of last year--I've been researching this issue since then. The Internet research I've done hasn't turned up any help other than "change a fuse" or "change a relay." I've swapped out just about every fuse in the car at this point and with your help yesterday I changed that 25A circuit breaker. Nothing has worked. When this happened in previous years I would just wait for the weather to heat up, but we've had temps in the 90's already so I'm pretty sure warm weather isn't going to fix it either.

thank you for the added info............

IF you have verified Voltage + on "both sides" of Fuse 8 under the hood, & "both sides" of the Circuit Breaker inside, then the last step would be to test the PINK / YELLOW wire of the Window Switch with Key ON.
Using a trim stick, start at the rear of the Driver Door switch and pry up to remove from door trim panel.
Locate the PINK / YELLOW wire & test for Voltage +
Let me know what you find
I will continue to look at the different Schematics to see what is in between the Circuit Breaker & Door Switch

.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Verified voltage on those fuses using a multimeter continuity check. They checked out. Here's something interesting: I haven't pulled up the panel on the switch yet, but I did remove the kick panel on the interior to get a better view of the wires. There's a small hole in the PINK/YELLOW wire where it looks like someone already did a voltage check (see picture). It has been awhile since I tested current in a wire. Can you remind me how that's done?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ignore that last post. I figured out how to test that wire. When I did the continuity test it came back positive, but with the vehicle in the ON position I got 0 volts. What does that mean?

are you sure this is the PINK / YELLOW wire at the Window Switch & does your Window Switch have Window LOCK Switch to keep other windows from working?
IF there is Voltage + on the PINK / YELLOW wire then we have an issue back at the Circuit Breaker
IF NO Voltage + on the PINK / YELLOW wire & NO Voltage + at the Circuit Breaker, then one of the Power Modules have a problem.
Use of Dealer Scan Tool will be needed to Test & Update
apprx 1 hour labor