sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a dodge grand caravan sport 2001 with right passenger

Customer Question

I have a dodge grand caravan sport 2001 with right passenger side sliding door, power liftgate and overhead console with buttons to open and close both the sliding door and power liftgate. Problem is the sliding door button works but intermittently and same thing for the power liftgate. I also did not have any dash lights. I did a reset of the BCM by remove battery cable for 5 mins before reconnecting. The dash lights cam on and are working, the power door button near the door worked, the power liftgate button on console worked but the sliding door button on console did not. Then when I turned everything off and left my van for a couple of hours and retried the buttons again, the power door button near door stopped working, then started working later however it would make the sound like the door would open but it didn't. The power liftgate button on console when presses made a sound like it was going to open but did not. The power sliding door button on console still did not work. I am trying to decide if the issue is with the BCM?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Dodge Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pardon me, I am sorry to ask but did you read my entire issue?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: I charged the battery to 100% before resetting the bcm
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The BCM wouldn't be causing either of the problems.

If you hear noise from the liftgate and the door when trying to open them then the signals from the buttons are being received and a power open cycle is being initiated. In both cases, if you hear the latch pop off but the door and liftgate don't power open then odds are both issues are being caused by failed microswitches in the latches. The power liftgate module and sliding door modules have to see the pawl switch in the latch in the correct state after the latch pops off, if it doesn't see the state change then the power open cycle will not continue. A scan tool will need to be used to diagnose both issues, starting by seeing what fault codes are set in each module and monitoring inhibit data if necessary. Based on your description I expect both latches will need to be replaced.