sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

The left side turn signals and headlight 't work, right side

Customer Question

The left side turn signals and headlight don't work, right side is all good. 2007 Sprinter
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The left side turn signals and headlight don't work, right side is all good. 2007 Sprinter
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a handful of different things going on. The turn signals aren't going to be related to the headlamp not working if both front and rear are not working, but if it's just the front not working then a loss of ground could be causing all issues.

The most likely cause for lights not working would be the bulbs themselves and the first step will be to check the bulbs or replace them with known good ones. Has any testing been done or the bulbs replaced?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I swapped all the left with the right. No change

Is it just the front turn signal that isn't working?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, front, side, and rear inop. Left headlight inop/high-beam works. Left DRL f/r work. L back-up and brake lights good.

Do you have a test light?

Did the front and rear turn signals stop working at exactly the same time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have test equipment. I bought the van with lights inop.

Can you start by seeing whether it's power or ground you're missing at the turn signals?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have power to the lamp connectors. The left headlight low beam works, but is dim. I replaced all left side bulbs f/r and only the right side flashers f/r work. Both high beams. parking, stop, backup, and license plate lamps work.

Is ground poor then?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cleaned all grounds. Ohmed good. There's only 8.5 volts at the connector. Also, the left headlight only works when the spade is put on the lamp with the headlight switch on. If spade is connected, then switch to on, it doesn't come on.

I'm a full time tech and at work this morning, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The idiot light only comes on after attempting to use left turn signals. The last 2 mornings, the dim left headlight has worked in DRL, but goes out when switch is turned to running lights or on.

With one meter lead on the positive battery post, the meter set on 20v DC and backprobing the low beam wire with the low beams turned on and dim, what does the meter show?