Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

I have a 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 with 2.7L Turbo Diesel

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 with 2.7L Turbo Diesel that had an intermittent engine light. Got the code at a local parts store and was "P0673" (Glow Plug #3). I tested all the glow plugs and the relay. Both the #3 and #5 glow plug has an open circuit. I did test the relay and was getting voltage for each of the five leads. Assumed the plugs were the problem and replaced all of them (not just #3 and #5). When I started her up, the engine light is now on constantly. Took in for another code check and its now confirming codes: P0671,P0672,P0673,P0674,P0675. However, the engine started immediately and runs very smooth unlike before I replaced the plugs when it cranked a few seconds before starting. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

we always recommend replacing the glow plug controller along with the glow plugs.

make sure all the connectors are snapped down good and tight. check this first. if all the connections are good, then I would replace the remaining plugs and the controller.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The connectors all looked good. I tried starting it up again and believe it or not this time the engine light was off. The vehicle has been sitting in my garage for about 5 hours since I last took it out. Wondering if somehow the extend rest allowed the engine to cool and forced the computer to recheck the circuits on start-up?? I'll keep checking...any thoughts on what's going on??
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.

ok, it may be off for now but it did not fix itself. I still think you need the controller. the glow plug controller is separate from the engine ecm. you can see what happens but I believe the issue will return at some point.