Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2014 ram 2500 cummins. my volt gauge has always ran

Customer Question

Richard i have a 2014 ram 2500 cummins . my volt gauge has always ran 14. Yesterday when i left for work it wouldnt start i had to jump it off. It ran fine but now the gauge is a steady 13 took it to dodge they checked it said both batteries needed replaced and put new ones on it. They said it was fixed. When i first got on it. Gauge did read 14 for a few minutes. Then it went back to 13. It has been 14 for 2 years. Do you know whst is going on ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the reason for the battery failures is or was the alternator. it was pumping in too much amperage and ruined the batteries. when they replaced the batteries, the charge rate may have gone back but now it is back to where it was when it ruined the batteries. I would replace the alternator as soon as posssible before it sulfates the new batteries

Roy