Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified

I am working on my roadrunner 440 six pack. I replaced the

Customer Question

I am working on my roadrunner 440 six pack. I replaced the carbs and now am having trouble getting the car to return to base idle after acceleration. It seems like the Vacuum advance is holding Vacuum . When I disconnect the hose it returns to base. I have tried manifold, and ported vacuum and received the same results. I have tried two distributors, 2 center carbs, checked throttle cable freeness. setting base at 800 rpms after acceleration it stays at about 1200, and at times my bleed off afte
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a dashpot on either of those carbs?

Have you tried non-ported vacuum to the vacuum advance yet?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi Jerry.. I sent in a question earlier and a Mike S was woring on it. His reply so far does not get it.... If he's an expert he should know what I am working on. I am a retired technician but need help on thos one since I have never had this problem. It is in reguard to my 70 roadrunner and vacuum advance, idle problem.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Distributor Ground Switch

An integral part of all carburetors (AVS Models) used on vehicles with 383 and 440 CID engines. Retards distributor timing when carburetor is at curb idle, for better emission control. Switch contact button is located in tip of idle speed solenoid plunger (see Figure). At closed throttle, when idle speed adjusting screw contacts button, distributor advance solenoid is grounded and vacuum advance is inoperative.