roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

I am building a 5.9 Cummins CR. It's going in a 2005 dodge

Customer Question

I am building a 5.9 Cummins CR. It's going in a 2005 dodge 2500. When I was installing the head studs, head and gasket, I noticed that the water passage in the block and head on the right front corner was sealed off on the new gasket. I ordered genuine Cummins upper and genuine cummins lower gasket sets. It's like the passage is closed off on purpose. I went a head and installed it, but I am losing sleep over it. I figured well Cummins may know something I dont. I did locate my old gasket and it is not blocked off, but it is not even the same material. If I need to pull it off and replace with a different gasket, now is the time to do it. I am looking at nearly 625-650 RWHP. I cannot afford a failure due to something like this once it is installed. Please let me know your opinion on this.
Also, one of the holes on the right rear seemed to be about half way blocked off, but kind of like lining a couple of bolt holes up and being half a hole off.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you verify that it is not on upside down or backwards??? it sounds like that or it is the wrong gasket. if the old one had the passages open, then it need to be open. also, no holes should be blocked half way off.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It will only go on one way. I tried everywAy possible. I think I will go to the dodge dealer tomorrow and try to look at another and see if maybe I had the 98-02 head gasket in my 03-07 gasket set
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The head studs only line up one way. Sorry, should have been more specific
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.

yes, it sounds like you have the wrong gasket

take the old one with you to match

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts