Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Howdy, I've recently purchased a 2005 dodge Dakota 2wd,

Customer Question

Howdy, I've recently purchased a 2005 dodge Dakota 2wd, 4.7ltr v8 quad cab. I was going through the maintenance records and noticed a pattern of extensive repairs to the front end. That being frequent alignments, wheel hub replaced twice on pass side and once on driver side, steering rack (et al) with new tie rod ends and disc rotor (pass side) the most recent being the rack, wheel bearing, and brake job about a year ago. So I went to check out some of this "work" on the truck. While checking it out I discovered, there's NO AXLES on this truck!? Is that why there's so much maintenance to the front end? All that it shows on every drawing I can find is just the wheel hub with a huge bearing. Is that right? Can somebody verify that dodge made this truck without Axles?!?!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. *** A BAD RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DEPOSIT YOU MADE *****

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

Yes, the*****Dakota doesn't have any front axles, only rear axles. Any reasons for front end/suspension repairs is normally caused by road conditions and/or driving habits.

….

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, that was short, jerr. EVERY car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, tri-cycle, etc, that I've ever owned, has ALWAYS had axles! On all wheels. I still can't quite get my head around it to understand the concept of driving around WITH NO AXLES!!!? Is there some way to possibly retrofit axles, or spindles, to this thing?
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

It is rather hard to make a long complicated thing out of it. A*****only has axles in the rear. If you would want to make a 4WD out of it you would have to replace the trans, add a transfer case, install a front axle housing, modify the front suspension, (and braking systems) as well as add a transfer case control module and reprogram the existing PCM. Sorry.

Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Here is a link to a diagram of all of the parts in the front of the vehicle, thanks

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the answer and diagrams in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks