Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs

My 2007 Dodge Caliber RT gas cap warning kept coming on then

Customer Question

My 2007 Dodge Caliber RT gas cap warning kept coming on then off was checked and gas cap is on tight. Then the car would not shift. I could go 40 mph but the RPMs were at 3000. It would not manually shift either. I pulled over put it in park and have reverse. When I put in drive again the dash flashed as if I was in 4 th gear and it then the check engine light came on...what could be up?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I again pulled over turned car off and let it sit short time now it seems to shift but the check engine light is on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to begin to know where to start your testing the first thing you are going to need to do is to have the computer system scanned to see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting when the check engine light came on. If you can get this done and post back with the fault code and or codes I will direct you from there to the proper repair. Most auto part store such as Auto Zone will perform this scan for you at no charge. Post back with them and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Very disappointed in your answer. I already know that I need to have it hooked up to get the codes I was hoping you may have some insight as to what may be the problem and should I have it towed or is it safe to limp it in to the shop!
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately there is not way to know what is failing with out having a starting point and that would be knowing the fault codes. The are two many things that can cause it to go into limp mode to simply guess. You are safe to drive it to the shop in limp mode . Im sorry I can not help you fix it with out having something to go on.