Ric
Ric, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified/certified chrysler/dodge specialist/30 years
31675116

We have a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel with the particle

Customer Question

We have a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel with the particle filter continuing to clog and engine light comes on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ric replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon...My name is ***** ***** i can help you with your question..First i will need some information on your truck...How many mile are on your truck?....Any black smoke from the tailpipe on acceleration? Any black soot on the tailpipe? And can you access the fault codes...If you can get me the codes this will enable me to very precisely help you to the next step...Ric

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has 150K miles, we do have black smoke upon acceleration and yest there is black in the tail pipe.
Our mechanic advised it was the Particle filter, We are in CA so we have the strict emissions....I do not have the codes
Expert:  Ric replied 8 months ago.

Thank You...Unfortunately the particulate filter has failed internally....The ceramic media in the housing has cracked allowing untreated exhaust out of the tail pipe...The only fix for this is to replace the particulate filter. Unfortunately 150,000 miles is all you can mostly get out of these filters any way. So make sure all your filters are maintained and clean...ie...air filter and the crankcase breather filter and replace the particulate filter.......apologies i will have to step away from my computer for a couple of hours....send me your reply and i will be glad to get back to you ASAP......Thank You Ric

Expert:  Ric replied 8 months ago.

Hi Karen...Thank you for your patience....I am back..Any questions...Ric

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this issue is common in the 2009 Dodge? Was it ever recalled?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not want to pay more for a call, thanks
Expert:  Ric replied 8 months ago.

I apologize for the wait....Unfortunately Cummins only warrants the engine and particulate system for 5 years and 100,000 miles. The schedule B maintenance in the handbook shows the DPF to be replaced at 150,000 miles. Sometimes if you get a good dealership that will work with you they might help you partially with the bill or they may replace the DPF totally as long as maintenance on the truck has been kept up. I have seen alot of these crack and create the issues you are having..I'm sorry i don't have any better news than that. And no this has not been recalled....sorry...Ric...can i help you with anything else??

Expert:  Ric replied 8 months ago.

Good evening...I haven't heard from you for a couple of days....Was the information i supplied satisfactory?? If not please allow me to supply you with any more info.. you may need. As always please don't forget to rate my service when you get a chance..I do strive to make my customers happy...Thanx...Ric