Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

My name is ***** *****. My 2009 Dodge Charger 5.7 liter all

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My 2009 Dodge Charger 5.7 liter all of a sudden won't start. It cranks strong, but won't turn over. When I put the key into the on position before trying to start, I here two loud beeps in the engine compartment. Hope it's something simple. Thanks!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The only possible warning I may have had was the night before when I was driving. As I pulled away from a stop light and hit the gas, the engine hesitated a couple of times but then went back to normal. Then the next morning when I try to start it it just cranked in cranked it wouldn't turn over. And fact when you turn the key to crank it it stays locked in the position as if I were holding it and just cranks without stopping.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jon replied 7 months ago.

Hi, can you remove the fuel line on the fuel rail and just turn the key to run and tell me if fuel comes out of the line?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know zero about cars. Where is the fuel rail located?
Expert:  Jon replied 7 months ago.

When you lift the engine cover off, its on both sides of the upper intake manifold. One side will have the fuel line going to it, I believe the right towards the rear of the rail.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Zero fuel comes out
Expert:  Jon replied 7 months ago.

Ok, can you get a test light? It's most likely a bad fuel pump but to verify, I'd like you to lift up the rear seat bottom and check for power at the fuel pump when you turn the key to run. It's a dark blue/orange wire at the fuel pump module on the left side. It will have power for about 2 seconds after you turn the key to run.

Expert:  Jon replied 7 months ago.

If no test light is available, you can tap moderately with a hammer on the top of the left fuel pump (don't smash it and break the plastic) and sometimes that will temporarily get the pump to run again. Just make sure you hook the line back up to the rail in case it does come back to life.

Expert:  Jon replied 7 months ago.

Have a 2nd person crank the engine while you are tapping on the pump too, I left that out, sorry.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hammer trick didn't work. So you're pretty sure it's most likely the fuel pump?
Expert:  Jon replied 7 months ago.

If you get a test light and check for that power, that will verify the fuel pump is bad. You'll hear the pump come on if its working (which it sounds like its not). If it lights the test light on the blue/orange wire and its not running, the pump is bad.

Expert:  Jon replied 7 months ago.

Anything else I can help you with regarding this issue?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. Thanks for your help!