bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have a 89 dodge dakota 2.5 litre engine. The engine is

Customer Question

I have a 89 dodge dakota 2.5 litre engine. The engine is shot and I had a engine shop tell me that a early Jeep 2.5 litre motor will swap with some modifications to it. Is this true? What am I looking at in terms of what to swap and time wise? Of if this is just a big headache in the making?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 9 months ago.

good morning and welcome to just answer, I am not sure where the shop is getting their info from BUT the Hollander interchange (that's what the recyclers use to determine the part interchange) the only engine you can use is from a Dakota, 1989 to 1995 to be exact, the 2.5 used in the jeeps was either an AMC engine OR a Pontiac 2.5.

there are plenty of Dakota 2.5 engines in the junkyards depending on your location,