Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

I have a 2005 dodge neon and replaced the rear brake shoes

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 dodge neon and replaced the rear brake shoes and drum. had a rubbing noise when applying the brakes after. replaced the hardware and the adjuster arm. still same noise when going forward and applying brakes, sound happens when coming to stop. never happens going in reverse. think it its adjuster arm dropping too far down and rubbing axel. what can I do to stop the arm from dropping too far. also have adjusted shoe out a very small amount further to touch drum.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

I have never seen an adjuster arm rub on the axle and very much doubt that this is the issue and easy enough to know. IF it were to rub on the axle, there would be a bright spot on the adjuster arm, even a new one. If you dont see one, then it isnt rubbing.

The most common cause is due to the new drums being slightly out of round. 90% of new drums are in fact out of round due to either poor manufacturing, or improper shipping and storage on a shelf. You can confirm with a brake drum micrometer, but if you dont have one, you can remove them and take to the parts store you bought them from and they will have one to measure them with. If out of round, then they need to be machined to true them and this will resolve the rubbing sound.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry, yes it is rubbing on the axel as the arm is being worn and there are fresh scratching on the axel. the springs are new and the correct assembly has been compared to all of the diagrams for spring attachment. when the wheel is removed and the brakes are depressed you can see the arm move on the star wheel and then drop down until the brake pedal is released.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also this is the second new drum and second set of new shoes, and have checked the drums with micrometer nothing wrong with either the first or second replaced drum but replaced it just because.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

I will opt out as I have yet to encounter this, so not sure how you would correct it since you have already replace the adjuster arm. If another expert knows, they will post here for you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no worries, you are about the ninth person I have asked, most are dodge vehicle gurus around here and have them all baffled. thanks for your time, enjoy your sunday nite. k
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Were factory OEM brake components used or after market components?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Pete,Both sets of brakes shoes and drums that were put on the drivers side were purchased at Auto Zone. The adjuster and hardware came from the dealership. The drivers side is where the problem is, The passenger side is fine with the shoes and drum from Auto Zone.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Can you inspect the way the shoes and drums are made compared to the factory components you removed to see if there is any difference in between the after market parts and the factory parts.I have seen in some cases where after market parts can cause an issue like this here in some cases and needed replaced again with either factory parts or a different brand after market part.

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pete, we did compare the original broken shoes and drums with the replacements both times and we used a diagram after the first set. we took it to a dealership and they couldn't find the problem after I had them test drive the car twice. we then took off the shoes and drum and replace them again. we have now replaced the hardware and the adjuster because the adjuster was ground down where it was falling and hitting the axle. now the adjuster falls down only when the brake is applied and then goes back to the original position then released. we know this because we took off the wheel and watched it in action. we have no idea why this is happening because before the adjuster was just dropping and not returning hense the constant rubbing when applying the brakes. we have compared the springs and arms and star to see if they were a problem after purchasing new and then replaced all of that. the arm had to be replaced as it was worn pretty thin. we even messed around with the e brake just to see if maybe that was a complication. so far about nine people/mechanics and two of you guys have been privy to this demon of a rear wheel brake system sound. no worries, sooner or later it will be fixed I am sure that it is something that we are all overlooking probably something really simple staring us in the face and laughing.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Was everything installed correctly and no parts put on backwards?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
verified by the two dealership techs and the diagrams for the rear wheel brakes, all of the plates, springs, shoes and parts are where they should be. the reason we traded out hardware is because we thought maybe the tension was shot. we have adjusted the shoes numerous times and that is all good, just the arm is working fine until it goes too far down. crazy
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

This is definitely a difficult one to diagnose from here and looks like you have had several look at it as well.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
okay, maybe somewhere out there is a person who has run into this same weird thing and can help as it is a mystery to all I have spoken with regarding the dropping of the arm. especially since it goes back up to correct position after releasing the brake pedal.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

I would be willing to help if you were to post some photos showing the brake, hardware and the part that is rubbing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, when I get home and take off the wheel-i will take some pics. thanks, k
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, when I get home and take off the wheel-I will take some pics. thanks, k
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good.