Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Replaced the fuel pump in my 2004 dodge RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4,

Customer Question

Replaced the fuel pump in my 2004 dodge RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, and it ran great for an hour or two then the fuse 17 blew. Replaced the fuse fuel pump primed then it blew the fuse again.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this fuse only started to short out after the pump was replaced this indicates the new pump is either drawing to many amps and needs replaced again under parts warranty or the fuel pump relay is shorting out internally.The fuse powers the relay to power the pump when the relay is energized.The only other issue I would see is a short leading from the relay to the fuel pump in the wiring possibly at the wiring and connection at the pump or from the fuse to the relay in the fuse panel/integrated power module.

I have seen several new pumps fail like this soon after they are replaced unfortunately but if it ends up being the pump at fault you should be able to get one at no cost to you from the place you purchased it from under parts warranty.Here is a diagram of this fuses circuit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rypqh9yveao0wjg/dia-03-13.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pete, thanks for your answer. Checked the relays or more so played musical chairs with the relays after replacing the fuse. Put another fuse in and it blew again. I just put a 30A fuse in the 17 slot and it works. Was thinking that maybe the new fuel pump had a higher amperage draw. I don't feel comfortable with this fix as the 30A fuse feels a little hot after running the truck awhile. Might just end up replacing the fuel pump under parts warranty but I really really wanted to avoid having to drop the fuel tank again. I checked the wiring from the relay all the way to the pump and nothing seemed out of ordinary.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

You dont want to leave that 30 amp fuse in its place.The wiring is designed for the fuse it is suppose to have and this will lead to melted wiring and possibly worse.I suspect the pump you installed unfortunately it drawing to many amps.Some parts are not built the best or defective out of the box and the pump does need replaced with one that is good.You should be able to parts warranty it from the place you purchased it from at no cost to you.They might even kick some out for labor costs but usually this isnt the case but they will cover the cost of the pump itself and give you a new one to put in.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete