Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My 2007 dodge ram 1500 keeps cutting off while I'm

Customer Question

My 2007 dodge ram 1500 keeps cutting off while I'm driving.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it start right back up at all when this occurs here or does it have to sit a period of time before it restarts?

Is the check engine light on or have fault codes been checked at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it starts right back up and there have been some evap codes and catalytic deficiency codes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It also has a brand new PCM in recently had the camshaft position sensor replaced.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Can you tell me the liter engine in this model here?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
4.7 litre
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also wanted to add that it has 207, 0 0 0 miles on it
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,one common component that can act up and cause this type of fault here is the crank position sensor itself.It will fail to send crank position to the engine computer and ignition components and causes a sudden stall out.In some cases the engine may start right back up but in other cases it may need to sit a period of time before it will restart.

In allot of cases when this sensor acts up no codes will set making it difficult to diagnose properly.

The sensor is located at the back of the engine on the passenger side as shown here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pefh7vh9k3ntn8k/cr-03-09.gif?dl=0

This sounds like the component at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok that might be it. Will look into it. So not a fuel related problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

It is possible the fuel pump is the cause but usually when the pump fails it fails all together causing this and wont allow a restart or may restart with difficulty and since it is starting right back up this sounds like the common fault of the crank sensor itself.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok will follow up with you incase I have more questions.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok had the crankshaft pos sensor replaced but truck still cutting off as before. Also replaced ignition key cylinder. Was told a faulty ignition switch could cause truck to cut off.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Being told probably is an electrical problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The ignition switch acting up can cause this type of fault here as well.I have run into this several times on some models.The only way to be sure though is to have it tested when the vehicle is acting up.If the signals from and at the switch are tested when the vehicle is not acting up then the switch will test to be good.But it is possible this is the cause here.

Thanks Pete