Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I was checking your website to see if anyone posted

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I was checking your website to see if anyone posted something similiar to my 1996 Grand Caravan starting issue. About once every 3 years this happens. I turn the key and nothing happens. The starter does not turn, the headlights do not dim, the interior lights do not dim, jumping the battery does not work, putting it in neutral and/or park does not help. I take the key out...and back in...I shift to neutral...nothing...try park...nothing. Then I call AAA. When AAA arrives, the car starts normally. the last time it happend, I let is sit overnight without doing anything to the van. it started normally the next morning. Again this happens about once every three years. Weird. I once had the starter changed...but...I still had this issue a couple of years later. I left the van at the shop for two weeks. they tried starting it twice every day...of course it worked normally. Have you heard about this before?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Dodge Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: No...I have a GREAT mechanic...and he's stumped.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Dodge Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I had a ZJ in my shop several years ago that had something simioar, but it happened more frequently than every 3 years. We ended up replacing the ignition switch. After that it never acted up again. You may want to try that.

Chris