Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

2004 dodge durango 4.7 replaced the entire cooling system

Customer Question

2004 dodge durango 4.7 replaced the entire cooling system coolant flush burped the system and I am still getting to hot
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have installed a new radiator thermostat waterpump fan clutch water pump housing overflow tank radiator cap complete flush and refill
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced everything burped the system and the truck still wants to over heat
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: Very well taken care of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Dodge Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ted G. replied 9 months ago.

I would have this vehicle checked for exhaust gases in the cooling system. I have seen several that either failed a head gasket or had a cracked /porous head that resulted in compression leaking into the cooling system. This causes air pockets and makes the engine run hot. There is a simple chemical test to check for combustion gases in the coolant system, most shops will have the kit or you can purchase one from your local NAPA.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Whats the typical time frame it takes to replace the head gaskets
Expert:  Ted G. replied 9 months ago.

If it just needs head gaskets you are looking at about 10 hours labor.