K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have a 41 Studebaker. I have power from the coil but I

Customer Question

I have a 41 Studebaker. I have power from the coil but I can't get any spark to the plugs. I replaced the points & condencer & gapped the points @ .021. what's next?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 9 months ago.

Hello, we need to make sure the points are actually grounding like they should. If you take the wire off the coil from the distributor and connect it to an ohm meter and the other ohm meter lead to ground spin the engine over or loosen the distributor and turn it.

Each time the points close there should be continuity to ground on the meter and when the points open there should not be. Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I assume you mean the wire from distributer to neg. on coil?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
did that, no res.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I assume you mean the wire from distributor to neg. on coil? did that, no resistance. what else?

If there's no resistance when the points open then the wire from the points is shorting to ground and will need to be replaced, It's very common for this to happen

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could the screw that connects the points to the condenser & coil wire be shorting to the distributer case?

Yes, If you disconnect the wire from points you can check it with ohm meter to distributor body.