Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My 1987 Dodge Ram 50 truck won't start when you turn the

Customer Question

My 1987 Dodge Ram 50 truck won't start when you turn the ignition switch. Sometimes it just clicks. Other times it won't do anything. I have already replaced the starter, the distributor, and the battery. Also, I cannot find a starter relay or an ignition control module anywhere. What information can you give me to solve my problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

First of all, let's begin by you telling me if this is a 2wd or 4wd, what engine is in it and if it's an auto or manual trans?

Then I will locate the starter relay.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

It may be in the same spot for every different one but for the 1987 Dodge/Ram Truck RAM 50 4WD 2.6L 2BL 4cyl, the Starter Relay is located under hood, driver side, rear side of strut tower, mounted on fenderwell.

Feel if it is what is clicking when you turn the key to start.

Also, turn the headlights on high beam and turn the dome light on, look at the dome light and turn the key to start and let me know if the dome light does either of these, nothing at all (stay bright), dim slightly, dim heavy, or go out completely and also let me know at the same time what noises you hear from the starter and relay just as clicking or starter turning over slow, etc.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Do you still need help with this?