Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Went to leave work tonight and the car failed to start

Customer Question

Went to leave work tonight and the car failed to start completely, like it didn't turn the key all the way to Turn it on. Well after 3 times of trying & failing to completely start the ETC light came on with the Engine Light. After a few moments with the car totally shut off, I went to try starting it again, and it started. It sounded a touch rough but it smoothed right out after driving it forward a few feet and nothing showed up as I drove it home. My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have no idea what to say. It drove fine all day, got me to work tonight just fine, went to leave and everything turned on then just kinda died, engine wise all my electrical stuff stayed on. Kinda like I didn't completely start my engine before releasing my key. I tried to start it again and it started then promptly died and again a 2nd time and the ETC light and MIP light both came on, so I turned it off. I gave it a moment and turned the key to aux for a moment before turning it to start and it fired right up, sounded a little rough but as soon as I put it in drive it smoothed right out and I was able to drive home no issues.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its also been a really slushy cold kind of week and the night before this issue happened I took my car to the car wash and powerwashed the wheel wells and front end to remove a lot of built up snow and ice that had made driving all but pleasant. I don't know if maybe the power washing forced soapy/hot water where it didn't belong and maybe froze things a little? Just an after thought
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh and I drive a 2012 Dodge Avenger SE aprox 85K miles
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a weak fuel pump not supplying enough fuel pressure to the engine.I have seen weak fuel pumps fail or act up like this here before in the past and cause this issue needing replaced.If you have not had the fuel pressure tested at all this needs done.If found to be low on fuel pressure I suspect the fuel pump needs replaced.

One other thing to check is the engine air filter box for ice or snow build up needing cleaned out.I have seen some models develop ice or snow in them that can cause this here in the conditions where your vehicle is now and needed cleaned out to correct this fault.

I would have these checked into here to see if one of these is the cause needing corrected.Fuel pump failure can be common.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete