Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2003 dodge durango. Brake light not working but running

Customer Question

2003 dodge durango. Brake light not working but running lights and blinkers work.replaced the brake light switch due to it being ripped out.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I spliced all the wires to correct pairs but no luck tested for 12v but only got about 7v
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. If you jumper the brake light switch, do the brake lights illuminate? What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
V8 4.7.. jump which wires
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

Jumper the Pink/dark blue wire to the tan/white wire

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No luck
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

Does the high mount stop lamp work when jumpering these wires?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it does not
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

Ok, then I suspect the problem is upstream due to the low voltage going to the switch. Start by checking fuse 19 in the juntion box for power. Be sure it has FULL battery voltage on it at all times.

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

No.. wait... I take that back. It is fuse number 5 (20 amp fuse) in the power distribution center under the hood that feeds the brake light switch.

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

If this fuse has full battery voltage on it, then the problem is between this fuse and the brake light switch. If this fuse has low voltage on it, then I suspect the problem to be upstream of the fuse.. like a bad power distribution center or a bad connection at or after the battery.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok so the fuse is only rating at 5v
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

No.. this is fuse NUMBER 5 and it is a 20 AMP fuse

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I I don't know how to check amperage with my multimeter
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

Your not checking amps. Your checking volts. Just set it to the 20 volt DC setting

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay it's maxing out at 11v
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Scratch that 13v
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

Ok, then thats good. This means we have succesfully narrowed the problem down. Since this fuse is good and have full battery voltage on it, this means the problem is between the fuse and the brake light switch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok what next
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

Either the power distribution is bad or the wire from the PDC to the brake light switch is bad. I would check the wire first and replace it if there is a voltage drop from the PDC to the brake light switch. If there is low voltage coming directly out of the PDC on that circuit, then the problem is inside the PDC and the PDC is bad and need to be replaced.

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

.