Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I bought a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Afterwards it stopped moving

Customer Question

I bought a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Afterwards it stopped moving discovered the transmission needs attentio. Took it to a garage and they took the trans out. They also took the battery out. I needed to get the title changed over so needed the milage when I put the battery in it sparked. The black was on neg and red was on plus. in a short while the cables got hot and meltrd. any ideas. Could it be a short.My dad said the wires are crossed needs to trace them. Is Dodge wired different he remeembers one time the red was ground on some cars.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

since the 50's it has always been red positive and black negative. it sounds like you have done damage to the wiring by crossing the battery cables. there is a main fuse in the fuse block that has most likely got blown from this and needs to be replaced as a start. check it and replace if blown. there may be more damage but you must start at that point

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out