Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have a 2001 dodge ram van 3500 5.2 318. I have been

Customer Question

I have a 2001 dodge ram van 3500 5.2 318 . I have been through 4 pcms last year and now it's acting up. I have changed ignition coil , plugs , wires , distributer, crankshaft sensor , auto air idle valve. Now if engine light is off the engine surges over 50 mph . If engine light is on it runs great
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have taken it to shops and had it checked for anything and it's always pcm . Some people say the heat off engine cause the fail
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 9 months ago.

Hi, this is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!.

It runs better with the CE light off? The code you have stored is likely to be significant.

Let's find out what it is. You can pull codes on your 2001 van without a scan tool by using the customer code-read feature.

To begin, hop in the van and shut the door. Insert your key into the ignition and then roll it from off to on three times.

Don't crank the engine, just cycle the key three times, leaving it in the ON position at the end.

Watch the odometer window in the cluster for code display, followed by "P-done" when completed. You will always see "P-done" at the end of the process even if no codes are stored if the feature had initialized and completed. If it doesn't work the first time, try, try again. It will work.

Write the codes down and let me know what comes up. I'm thinking you have an oxygen sensor heater problem, but the codes will tell the tale.

Talk shortly,

Ed

Hi, it's been a while.

Did you have any luck pulling codes?