Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My truck had a fresh transmission rebuild from a local shop

Customer Question

My truck had a fresh transmission rebuild from a local shop and now something is going wrong. It ran fine for a couple hundred miles and then I was using 4wd at the time the engine started to cut out and miss and not want to rev up and the whole time it was running rough it would make loud clanking noises almost like the sound of u-joints going out. I put it back in 2wd and let it idle in park for a while and it slightly missed a time or two so I waited for it to run smooth and it was fine no more noises. I used 4wd twice more and no problems. Until a week later I am driving up a fairly steep driveway when it starts cutting out again and shortly after comes the loud clunking. I am not able to figure out if its the transmission transfer case drive train etc. But it only happens when the truck begins to misfire and lose power. I limped it to the top of the driveway running rough the whole way and slight clunking noises. Wouldn't rev up in park. But ran fine the next time I drove it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 9 months ago.

Hi Charles my name is***** byt checking the transmission and transfer case oils for discoloration, burnt smell, and metal/debris indicating internal problems. If ok check for fault codes with a scan tool if the check engine light is on and let me know what codes you have. It sounds like it could be an intermitent EGR problem Let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No codes unfortunately. I had an o2 bank sensor come on not too long ago but I believe it went away. The clips on my o2 sensors are all broken so most likely a lose conection. I will check all my fluids tomorrow and get back to you. So my last question for now is if there's still problems with my tranny it can make my engine run rough even in park?

Unless there is major troubles with the converter an pump lugging the engine down then it is unlikely and if that were the case it would likely not move and the oil would be contaminated

O2 sensors and EGR go hand in hand but with no codes it would be hard to say that there is a problem with either but it is possible. Let me know how you make out tomorrow

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will do thanks Dan!

Pleasure to help

Hi Charles, Did you get this resolved or still need help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately I had to have emergency surgery yesterday and should feel up to looking under the the truck by this weekend

Thanks for the update.I wish you a rapid recovery. Keep me posted.