Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

My name is ***** *****. I have A 2012 ram 2500 6.7 Cummins

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I have A 2012 ram 2500 6.7 Cummins and sometimes when I go to start my truck it will say service 4x4 and won't start but if I turn key off and turn it back on it will start. And sometimes after I start it it will lose all electrical power and truck will turn off
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about as good as I can explain it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I've seen issues with the ignition switch assembly (WIN Module) causing the symptoms described. Try wiggling the ignition key when you start it to see if the vehicle shuts off when wiggling the key. If it does, then replacement of the WIN Module (ignition switch) should solve the issue. Keep in mind that this must be done by the dealer as special programming and key programming is required when replacing the WIN module..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will try that when I get home. I've also herd that it could be my battery solenoid or the fusible links
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

There is not a "battery solenoid" in this vehicle.

The only fusible links are the one for the intake heater grid and for the alternator output. both of these are attached to the passenger side battery. If either of these were faulty, you would either have a problem with the charging system or cold start system not operating. Either of these would result in a check engine light. Is the CEL on?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
check engine light is on.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

If you can retrieve codes it will help to get this figured out.... Try this: Sometimes you can get the vehicle to display codes for you on the odometer. Get in the vehicle and close all the doors. Without starting the engine, cycle the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. Make sure to end in the ON position, and do it quickly within 5 seconds. Where the odometer is should now begin displaying "P-codes" (ie. P0455). Write down all of the codes and post them here... If you did it properly and there are no codes, it will display "DonE" on the odometer...

If that does not work, The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got him I tried the on off on off on and it not showing codes and I keep trying to start the truck but as soon as it starts up it looses all electrical power and shuts back off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can wiggle the key a lot when it's started and it shut off once when I wiggled it
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

If you can get it to shut off by wiggling the key more than once, Then you will need to replace the ignition switch assembly.

This will need to be done at the dealer as special programming is required and the keys will need to be reprogrammed to the vehicle also..

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only shut off once
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Is it still stalling out on it's own when you first start it or while driving?