Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

How do you reset immobilizer, I tried to start it with a bad

Customer Question

How do you reset immobilizer
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I tried to start it with a bad key one of my kids had the good key now it said to service immobilizer
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

You didn't include the make, model and year of the vehicle you've got, but the answer is the same anyway. Your only hope to reset the immobilizer (SKIM system) from home is to do a prolonged battery disconnect. Some SKIM modules have lockup tendencies that can be cleared with a reboot of this sort, sometimes taking several minutes of power-down time. Touching your battery cable ends together once disconnected will improve the depth of power-down, as it allows more efficient draining of system capacitance, dropping voltage to true zero much more quickly. There is no limit to how long you can leave the cables disconnected (or touched together), so if it doesn't work after five minutes, try ten.

Immobilizers are made to be difficult to override on purpose, by the way -- otherwise they wouldn't be much of a deterrent to thieves. If the reboot isn't effective, I'm afraid you've run out of options that you can try from home and a call to a locksmith or tow to the dealer will be necessary. I can't imagine why using the bad key would cause a good one to fail, by the way. Sometimes stuff just happens.

Best of luck!

Ed

Hi, it's been a while since we talked.

How did my advice work for you?

Ed