Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

My 92 dakota,3.9 v-6 woudnt start,poped and backfired but

Customer Question

My 92 dakota,3.9 v-6 woudnt start,poped and backfired but wouldnt start and run. I went out this morning charged the battery cranked it and it fired up and ran just like always. Its been doing this for the last couple of months!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Each time it's done the popping and backfiring was the battery low?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO battery was low from extended cranking,so i put charger on it.this battery is not quite a year old!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ITS never done this in the twelve yrs. i owned it!
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try and help you. I have seen coolant temp sensors that are out of calibration cause this on the older 3.9 engines. Try replacing the temp sensor next to the thermostat and see if that helps. Other things it could be is a bad check valve in the fuel pump. That can allow fuel to drain back into the fuel tank when the truck sits overnight. That would cause hard starting first start of the day. Hopefully it is just the coolant sensor because that is a cheaper repair. Hopefully these suggestions will help you out.

Chris