Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Will, the interiior lights are working and door locks but no

Customer Question

Will, the interiior lights are working and door locks but no power to radio
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2007 dodge durango 4door 4. 7 v8 8 speaker alpine system
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have power to all other functions cigarete lighter heating/air. The radio part # ***** if that helps any
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the radio is the ony thing you ar having problems with?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
pretty much. It was fine then battery went dead in vehichle. I jumped it off and when i turned it back on the speakers played for about 45 secounds then just cut off. I couldnt figure out what would cause that. The only thing i could think that could be was maybe a relay or something. So i checked all fuses because i have the built in amp in my Durango and all fuses were fine. Well i used to work at a car audio stoore i intalled stereos but it was in the late 90s Early 2000 stuff has changed a bit. So i was going to just get a new radio. So i bout a Kenwood hooked everything up had power and everything but no sound. So i put my original back in and now neither one is getting any power what so ever.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

Ok, you need to first check the fuse 7,11 and 12, and see if these fuses are good and have power to them with the key on, can you do this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hold just one sec. Now thats the fuse box under dash correct?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok those fuses are ok
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

ok, do you have the factory radio out where you can check wires at the radio?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

ok, we need to check the grey and red wire at the radio, and see if it has power, can you do this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
let me grab my tester
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

let me know,Tim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ill do, ... Now there is 2 grey and red wires coming out of the factory's harness. Does it matter wich one? One is right above the other.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

check them both

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No neither one has power
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

ok, these wires get there power from the #12 fuse, can you doubke check that fuse, and also make sure there is power to this fuse?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That fuse is getting no power to it...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

then there is a break in the grey/red wire, some wherr between the fuse box and the radio, you can trace the wire, but it may be easier to just run a new power wire to it, it has power at ll times, Tim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, so where does that leave me with getting no power coming out of my fuse box. The tester showed there was no power coming from the fuse box itself. I can run the wire to the radio to the fusebox but if there is still no power in the fusebox it still wont work will it?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

ok, I am sorry, I thought you said it had power at the fuse, give me a second to pull up the wiring diagrams again

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

yes, the fuse box under the dash is the one with the fuse 12

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah i got that, checked it and it has no power coming in to it at all. Therefore i could rewire the red and grey wire to radio from fusebox but will still do no good if i have no incoming power.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

ok, that fuse gets its power from the #27 fuse in the fuse box under the HOOD, can you check this fuse,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

did you check this fuse?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

was it blown?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It started to rain on me Tim im sorry, im headed back outside tobhave a look at it now.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, that fuse is getting power to it
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

and the fuse is good?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

OK, THEN THERE IS EITHER A PROBLEM IN ONE OF THE FUSE BOXES, OR THE WIRE BETWEEN THE 27 FUSE AND THE 12 FUSE IS BROKEN, FIRT OHM OUT THE WIRE BETWEEN THE FUSE BOXES, IF IT IS GOOD,CHECK FOR POWER COMING OUT OF THE UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX FOR POWER, THIS IS A ORANGE/RED WIRE, IF IT DOES NOT HAVE POWER, THEN REPLACE THE UNDERHOOD FUSE BOX, IF IT DOES, THEN CHECK IT AT THE UNDER DASH FUSE BOX, IF IT HAS POWER, THEN REPLACE THE UNDER DASH FUSE BOX,TIM