Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1996 Dakota 4wd 5.2 engine, started having random stalls

Customer Question

1996 Dakota 4wd 5.2 engine, started having random stalls last summer and has gotten more frequent. no codes and check engine light doe3s not come on. ENGINE WILL RESTART AFTER SITTING A COUPLE OF MINUTES. THANKS
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. When the engine stalls, does it have to sit for a few minutes before it starts right back up or can you start it immediately after it stalls out?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
after sitting two or three minutes it will start back up, we also checked the fuel pressure
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Ok, thank you for that information. Does the engine have spark and fuel pressure when it does not start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we haven't had test tools when it dies on the side of the road so I don't know
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I will tell you my experience on these vehicles. Usually this condition is caused by a fuel pump, camshaft position sensor and or crankshaft position sensor. The fuel pump and these two sensors can simply heat up and stop working for bit until they coola back down causing this stalling condition (and no start for a few minutes) like you are describing. Your first step would be to verify spark when this happens. You could even use a screw driver to check for spark. If there is no spark, I would suspect a bad cam or crank sensor. If there is spark but no fuel, I would suspect a bad fuel pump.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

.