sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Ok here we go... I attempted to start my 14 ram 3500 diesel

Customer Question

Ok here we go... I attempted to start my 14 ram 3500 diesel this morning. I turned the key to let the pre heat do its thing, or so I thought. I plugged in my phone and turned they key to start the truck when I realized it had not pre heated. It started for a second before I could get it shut off and now it just clicks when I try to start it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you get a single click or rapid clicking when attempting to crank the engine the most likely cause would be low battery voltage, but it may also be a connection issue.

The first thing I would recommend is making sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

If ok then deeper testing would be necessary. A digital voltmeter at the least can be used to check battery voltage, it would be best to try a jump start or test the batteries. Depending on how dead the batteries are and the condition of cables, you may not be successful in jump starting.

Do you have a digital voltmeter?