Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I'm connecting the factory LED bed lighting 2016 Ram 1500.

Customer Question

I'm connecting the factory LED bed lighting for my 2016 Ram 1500. The instructions tell me to tap into a connector under the dash, near the e brake.. which is impossible. Is there a more convenient place to tap into the cargo light circuit?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The bed lights are installed and working correctly, with the exception of the +12V wire. The manual instructs me to push the bed light pin into an existing connector under the dash. I'm not sure how to get into that connector. I'd rather splice into the cargo light switch itself if possible. I can easily access the connector from the back of the cargo light button.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Your best bet would be to tap into the cargo lamp at the cargo lamp itself. You can't tap into the switch because the switch is a multiplex style switch and cannot supply the 12 volts needed for the bed lights. Give me a minutes to look up the wiring diagram and I will tell you the color of the wire at the cargo lamp.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Ok, found it, it is a White wire with a Tan stripe. If you remove the left A pillar trim, you should be able to tap into it at the harness running up the left A pillar.

I hope this helps, and if so, please take a minute to rate my service today.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I realize I can tap directly to the cargo lamp. I dont want to do that. Is it possible to connect to the connector under the dash?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
C1
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Yes. Just follow that harness that goes up the left A pillar. Follow it down to the connector under the dash and tap into the White/Tan wire at that spot. But do not tap into the switch. The switch is connected to the BCM. Then the BCM sends the 12 volts to the cargo lamp.

Chris